- Laura Davis
The Perfect Day in Old Town
If you live in the city then you probably aren’t a stranger to Old Town, and if you are...well then a day trip is calling your name. I may be a little biased as this charming little area happens to be my neighborhood, but its prime location and quaint community feel has so much to offer making it one of the most popular areas around.
Home to some of the city’s best shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues it’s no surprise it’s the perfect spot for a day trip. Let’s dive right in!
1. Start off the day on Wells St. and grab breakfast at La Fournette. This authentic French bakery takes me back to Europe every time. Offering tons of options from quiches, croissants, pastries, fresh baked breads, macarons, coffee, and teas, there is something for everyone. My go-tos here are the almond croissant or raspberry beignet complimented with a soothing peppermint herbal tea.
2. Next, head out for a lovely walk along the lakeshore to North Ave Beach and walk out onto Hook Pier for some of the most spectacular views of the city. Even though this is not in the heart of the Old Town it is still very close and has always been one of my favorite places to visit for a nice morning stroll. The view gets me every time!
3. As you make your way back to Wells St. stop at the Green City Market located on Clark St. This local farmers market has everything from fresh fruits and veggies, to beautiful fresh flowers, and tons of local eats. You don’t want to miss it! The Market runs in Lincoln Park and West Loop on Saturdays and Wednesdays from 7:00am–1:00pm, May through October.
4. Now it’s time for some lunch! Old Town has an array of delicious restaurant options but my top spots for lunch are The Vig and Happy Camper but if you’re looking for something quick check out Small Cheval for the best burgers around! You can’t really go wrong with either option and all have amazing atmospheres and mouth watering food.
5. Next let’s do some damage and get shopping! Wells St. has some of the cutest boutiques and shops you’ve ever seen. You have everything from spice and plant shops to clothing and jewelry boutiques. A few of my favs are: The Spice House, String A Strand, Sara Jane, and Green Inc.
6. If you know me then you know Italian food is my go-to so it’s only natural to dine at one of my favorite spots, Topo Gigio for dinner! What’s not to love about this place?! It's a little slice of heaven offering large portions of homemade pastas and all that Italian goodness. Get the Tortellini alla Panna. You won’t be disappointed.
7. To cap off the night head to a comedy show at the iconic Second City or Zanies! Offering a wide variety of comedy skits, this is a must when visiting Old Town plus it’s where many notable comedians, award-winning actors, and directors got their big break. You won’t stop laughing!
8. Lastly, if you have some time left, pop into Jeni’s Ice Cream for a sweet little ending. Offering tons of flavors, each has a uniquely smooth buttercream body with a bright and clean taste. My favorite...Brambleberry Crisp! Yum!